Poets are those who love,--who feel great truths, And tell them.

August 8, 2012

Unmasked

by Brooke 
Smiling from ear to ear, 
Laughing joyfully, 
Happy, 
That's what's on the outside. 
Devastation, 
Floods of tears, 
Depressed, 
That's what's on the inside. 
Getting caught up in the moment, 
Doesn't happen very often for me, 
But I pretend so no one has to worry. 
I enjoy being alone, 
Reading a book, 
Writing down my thoughts, 
And listening to my music. 
But one can get tired of it, 
Longing for a friend to take my hand, 
Just knowing that someone cares. 
But I just pretend, 
I'm a happy-go-lucky person, 
Who has not a problem in the world. 
Not very many people see through this, 
Not very many people look, 
But when they do, 
I feel vulnerable. 
I try to convince them otherwise, 
Show that I'm happy, 
They pretend I've convinced them, 
Just to make me happy. 
But others keep peeling back the layers, 
Figuring me out, 
Becoming my friend. 
As I pretend, 
Not being who I am, 
Trying to be like everybody else, 
You have found me unmasked.

No comments:

Post a Comment