Poets are those who love,--who feel great truths, And tell them.

April 15, 2008

Wonders of a Child

by Hannah

Little girl, playing in the dirt,
Get as dirty as you want.
So what if you are in your best skirt.
Little girl, you see the dandelions and wonder,
How can anyone call them a weed?
Stay like that. Make a bouquet.
Plant a seed.
Little girl, thinking you’re so big.
I know you think you’re all grown up.
But I’m not even there yet.
Take it easy. Take it slow.
Don’t worry,
One day you will grow.
Little girl, always carefree and naïve,
I look up to you.
Please don’t look up to me.
Little girl, amazed by the caterpillar,
So fuzzy and squishy.
Don’t squeeze too hard.
It wants to be a butterfly eventually.
Little girl, playing house in the tree,
I can tell you’ll make a great mommy one day.
Little girl, the beautiful one, with curly red hair,
And big blue eyes,
Always remember it’s the inside that counts.
Don’t believe the worldly lies.
Little girl, look up, it’s a full moon.
Can you believe it?
The same person that made it, made you.
Little girl, singing and dancing
To your own song,
Would you mind if I
Sing and dance along?
Little girl, would you walk with me a mile,
I want to know the reason
For your constant smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment